Skip to main content

Mass Mutual FB and a Huge Creepy Social Media Fail

The creepiest and most heartbreaking thing I've seen on "the Facebook" yet.  An insurance company is trolling for "Likes" by offering some money to a lucky winner who happens to be in debt.  Sounds good, right?  Soliciting ideas may unleash creativity during the campaign as well.

Here's the page.



Here's what they did wrong:

1. They lead with the headline:"WE'RE IN DEEP."

So, Mass Mutual, are you REALLY trying to say that you identify with all the souls out there who are in "Deep Shit"?  (Because that's one way it could be interpreted)  
As one of the millions who have crushing student loans, I'd be very interested in the "we" part of this statement.  How exactly are they involved-AT ALL? Somehow, unless they were bailed out in the last Financial Crisis, I cannot relate.  

2.$1 Trillion Dollars, huh?  Then why are you offering only $20,000.  Oh-wait, they "might reward" you with that money.  If they are in the mood that day.

3.  You want people to "Like" your page, and GIVE an "idea on how you can reduce what you owe".  Hmm, other than working.  Other than paying it back?  What creative answer could they possibly be looking for?  Stealing it? UFO's? Being an upstanding citizen?  Most of the foreseeable choices here are rather limited, in fact.




4. If you spend any time at all speaking to someone who has student debt, it is very likely that they do not have good feelings about it.  The interest rates are high and they carry a burden, even if they cannot find a job.  Some have chosen to drop out because the debt is too crippling for them to dream of finishing (see previous post "Respect for the Bureaucracy").  The stories are heartbreaking for those who have no idea how to navigate the system.

5. The result.  During the first 2 weeks of this campaign, 700 people "like" the comment and 88 have commented. (Not a great result, I'd click "like" on the page myself, just to see how many have liked the PAGE-but I don't want to get my hands dirty) 132 shares-what is the data on people who share links without clicking on them?

6. The status update: "Student Debt is awesome – Said no one. ever. Which is why we’re giving away up to $20,000!"

Is that supposed to incite clever debate?  The writer sounds completely tone-deaf.  Capture a phrase that sounds like something a teenager would say.  Never mind that it might actually enrage some people.

7. Qualitative analysis of the discussion.  It can be broken down into: "I have debt and I'm going to work hard", "I've paid off debt", "debt is awful", "you signed the contract" and "that other person is wrong".  Oh yeah, and other hateful comments towards the post.

8.  The link doesn't quite work, or seem to work. On my laptop, it went to a page outside the internet, then immediately jumped back INTO Facebook.  The first page almost looked as if it had actual information, maybe explaining the premise or links to other pages.  The FB page ONLY had a "Like" button.  (See image above).  Even if you are a teenager, how can you trust a Financial company that doesn't disclose basic info.

9.  Response to someone having trouble with the link.  (They did tag the person)
"We apologize for the difficulty you’ve experienced opening the link. Please note that the tab is only accessible via a desktop/laptop computer, and is not accessible via mobile or tablet devices. Thanks!"

Where did they do their customer research?  How much of their target audience use FB for mobile??  (I'm gonna guess, 75%, or so)

10.  The use of the phrase "up to" is another big clue that indicates a lack of commitment to their own cause.  "might reward you with up to $20,000".  So even if you DO win their vague lottery, you also might get up to $1.  And then they can take a number to the bank; they hit a number of likes and can say they contributed to 20,000 people's debt.

FAIL.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the Real Difference among Film/TV/Online and Theater?

Other than the distribution channels, what are the REAL distinctions between Film, TV and on line media?  Other than economics, prestige and tradition, there is no difference. For instance, if you are a writer with a brilliant script, you want to maximize the exposure and influence of your work.  If you are approached by producers of various media, you’d hope to get to the “top of the food chain”. Naturally, you’d choose a Film contract-assuming that the budget would be high, as it always is-each film requiring a unique production crew, sets, even a unique accountant.  Plus, you’d hope, that each scene would have intense focus and blood, sweat and tears poured into each shot for ultimately 90 minutes of story. TV has scales of efficiencies, presumably a production company already in place, cranking out “Made for TV Movies”, or better yet-they’d allow your idea to grow and breathe, beyond the scope of 90 minutes. Maybe a miniseries? Online media (i.e. Youtube, or ANY other vid

Casual Spelling

So I have a friend who is constantly posting very cynical things to Facebook.  I've decided that of all the crazies, his stuff is usually the most outlandish, so I haven't deleted him from my feed. When I saw this picture he posted, (weeks after the incident!) my eyes teared up slightly.   His comment: "Incredible that a school sign uses spellings like 'luv' and 'u'--kids will never know the true spellings of these words if this is the constant." He is of the Baby Boomer generation and I am closer to the Gen Y/Millennials.  What he doesn't get is the subtlety, and the reason the picture touched me.  I am trained in Linguistics, and he greatly underestimates the younger generations.  The very words he is complaining about are examples of casual spelling, which suggest a more personal connection to the children than the words spelled out fully. Children have been exposed to plenty examples of both kinds and it is a matter

UX Review: Kobobooks.com Fails on Recommendations

As a User Experience Strategist, I am amazed at how some websites don't invest in their greatest assets.  If you are an ebook marketer, why not expose your repeat customers to your wide selection of titles?  Kobo, please give me a reason to give you my money!! Full Customer Profile & Experience: I love being surrounded by the books I have purchased.  Not that I have read all of those I own, not by any stretch.  And frankly I create a whole new pile of books TO READ everytime I tidy up and rearrange them.  That is what it means to have a physical artifact. When I am on my computer, I vary my time between work, surfing reading and allow my mind to go wherever it wants (as long as I'm not under deadline).   If I purchase an ebook, I can only read it on my laptop or my iPhone.  I refuse to purchase yet another device, when I should just read one of these paper artifacts. While doing research, there was a book that was only available on kobobooks.com, so (being game), I