Skip to main content

Fem in STEM

Why is it that there are more boys/men in the growing fields of Science/Technology/Engineering/Math fields than women?  I know lots of cool (feminine) women who grow into self-confident, self-realized uber-nerds that most of us (men or women) only aspire to be in our wildest dreams.  It's a cool life, and frankly should be featured on more reality-shows and celebrity award statuettes.


My personal experience is that of commonly being the only woman in a room full of developers.  Sometimes there are issues with it, sometimes not.  I'm sure there's a lot I miss and a lot I imagine.  Some of it has to do with the social ties that encourage team-building in the software development environment.  If you are good enough to bring value to the team, you are a welcome addition.

As an additional caveat, a UX person sometimes comes in as an unwelcome interloper.  Someone who is asking for an extra step, and creating more work for the group.  If it's in the context of a temporary or "Contract" position, then there is even less incentive to bring a person into the social tie as a "team member".  And the person is not taken seriously, and the work is not taken seriously.  Add to that the additional bias against anything that reeks of "fuzzy science" or psychology in the business world, and you begin to see the challenge.


Apparently, in the current media, it's back to bolstering confidence in women again.  Sometimes the other end of the spectrum involves the "men beating the women down" bit.  Is it the trend that stops girls or the circumstances influencing the trend?

This article boils it down to 2 words: "You matter".  And, especially when encouraging young women, I'm all for the positive side of things.  I went to an all-girls high school and then an all-women college, both of which barely acknowledged the other sex.  We didn't miss them (except for the romantic side of things, which tends to be more of a great distraction for both sides, at those ages, anyway).  There was certainly no male-bashing, and we filled in information in the vacuum of their absence.

I remember that most of my friends in high school seemed to be pretty equal in their math/science/art/English abilities, because there was no reason not to be.  We were helpful and encouraging to each other and happily flourished in our talents.  Cindy was good at Math and Drawing, Caite probably wrote an entire novel during senior year, Andrea was amazing at English and Drama, Megan was good at everything.  We were all held up to very high standards.  We felt as if we mattered.

Sheryl Sandberg (Facebook COO) wrote a book called, Lean In.  Her famous TED talks are about making sure you get a seat at the table and why we have too few women leaders.  And her talk at Davos was about gender equality.


I would have thought (when I was going to school) that the conversation would get beyond discussions of gender and on to productivity.  But there are larger elements at work here.  This is a perfect opportunity for a UX Research study.  A vague problem that cannot be answered by either end of the spectrum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where is the Real Difference among Film/TV/Online and Theater?

Other than the distribution channels, what are the REAL distinctions between Film, TV and on line media?  Other than economics, prestige and tradition, there is no difference. For instance, if you are a writer with a brilliant script, you want to maximize the exposure and influence of your work.  If you are approached by producers of various media, you’d hope to get to the “top of the food chain”. Naturally, you’d choose a Film contract-assuming that the budget would be high, as it always is-each film requiring a unique production crew, sets, even a unique accountant.  Plus, you’d hope, that each scene would have intense focus and blood, sweat and tears poured into each shot for ultimately 90 minutes of story. TV has scales of efficiencies, presumably a production company already in place, cranking out “Made for TV Movies”, or better yet-they’d allow your idea to grow and breathe, beyond the scope of 90 minutes. Maybe a miniseries? Online media (i.e. Youtube, or ANY other vid

Casual Spelling

So I have a friend who is constantly posting very cynical things to Facebook.  I've decided that of all the crazies, his stuff is usually the most outlandish, so I haven't deleted him from my feed. When I saw this picture he posted, (weeks after the incident!) my eyes teared up slightly.   His comment: "Incredible that a school sign uses spellings like 'luv' and 'u'--kids will never know the true spellings of these words if this is the constant." He is of the Baby Boomer generation and I am closer to the Gen Y/Millennials.  What he doesn't get is the subtlety, and the reason the picture touched me.  I am trained in Linguistics, and he greatly underestimates the younger generations.  The very words he is complaining about are examples of casual spelling, which suggest a more personal connection to the children than the words spelled out fully. Children have been exposed to plenty examples of both kinds and it is a matter

UX Review: Kobobooks.com Fails on Recommendations

As a User Experience Strategist, I am amazed at how some websites don't invest in their greatest assets.  If you are an ebook marketer, why not expose your repeat customers to your wide selection of titles?  Kobo, please give me a reason to give you my money!! Full Customer Profile & Experience: I love being surrounded by the books I have purchased.  Not that I have read all of those I own, not by any stretch.  And frankly I create a whole new pile of books TO READ everytime I tidy up and rearrange them.  That is what it means to have a physical artifact. When I am on my computer, I vary my time between work, surfing reading and allow my mind to go wherever it wants (as long as I'm not under deadline).   If I purchase an ebook, I can only read it on my laptop or my iPhone.  I refuse to purchase yet another device, when I should just read one of these paper artifacts. While doing research, there was a book that was only available on kobobooks.com, so (being game), I